How is the URNCST Journal different from other undergraduate research journals?
Commonly, undergraduate students spend a relatively short amount of time working alongside a principal investigator, however, it often takes much longer for research projects to be completed and ready for publication in an academic journal. This precludes them from participating in the final stage of the scientific journey which involves receiving peer-reviewed feedback and publishing their work. This presents an exceptional challenge for undergraduate students who may have an interest in further pursuing their career as a researcher, by means of graduate or professional school, where it is increasingly common for highly competitive applicants to have authored research articles. Thus, the URNCST Journal was created to provide dedicated undergraduate researchers with a cost-effective and meaningful platform to showcase their research findings with an international audience that includes their peers and mentors, and potential future research supervisors, not to mention committees responsible for academic awards and scholarships, as well as graduate and professional degree program admissions.
As an undergraduate researcher, you want to publish your work in the research journal that offers its authors the best combination of quality editorial standards and high article visibility. Here are 8 reasons why the URNCST Journal is the gold standard among undergraduate research publications:
- Open Access – As opposed to subscription-based journals, all research articles accepted in the URNCST Journal are fully accessible and can be downloaded, read and cited by any academic in the world who has an internet connection.
- Peer-Reviewed – Instead of relying on local experts or a single academic institution, the URNCST Journal’s editors carefully review over your article before calling upon principal investigators and graduate students around the world who are experts in your manuscript’s specific topic area.
- Rapid Turnaround Time – We understand that your submission comes with the hope that you will be able to share your published research with a potential research placement or thesis advisor or a graduate or professional school committee, thus we endeavour to reach a peer-reviewed decision on your manuscript and publish accepted articles all within a single month.
- International – While many undergraduate research journals are based out of/only accept submissions from one university, the URNCST Journal accepts submissions from undergraduate students internationally, calls on peer-reviewers internationally, and all published articles are available for an internationally audience.
- Broad and Multidisciplinary – We value submissions from undergraduate students conducting research in any discipline within the natural and clinical sciences and technology. We understand that as an undergraduate student, you may choose to conduct research in multiple scientific disciplines throughout your degree or pursue a second and/or professional-undergraduate degree and the URNCST Journal serves as a platform to showcase all of your work.
- Indexed – While many undergraduate research journals are difficult to find, lack proper archiving methods, and lack indexing, articles published in URNCST Journal are easily found as a result of SEO optimization, archived securely on Open Journal Systems servers, and are indexed to Google Scholar once published. The URNCST Journal is also a CrossRef member, which means that all published articles undergo content registration (metadata deposit) and receive their own digital object identifier (DOI). As a newly launched publication, future plans include also index articles in other academic databases including PubMed, Web of Science, and Scopus among others, meaning that even currently published articles will likely be later disseminated much more widely.
- Innovative – The URNCST Journal team values the opinions of authors, reviewers and researchers. We welcome your feedback on how to improve our publication, but more importantly we want your thoughts on how we can support undergraduate research endeavours worldwide. For example, it is our hope that we will be able to offer URNCST Journal undergraduate research awards in the future.
- Social Media Promoted – While it is increasingly common for research journals to have social media platforms, the URNCST Journal team takes it a step further by posting a message promoting your research article the day it is published on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, thereby maximizing the visibility of your work.