iGEM Toronto Abstract Competition
iGEM Toronto Synthetic Biology Abstract Competition
Host's Name and Website: iGEM Toronto [www.igemtoronto.ca]
About the Host Organization: iGEM Toronto is a multidisciplinary undergraduate research team with a focus on scientific exploration in the field of synthetic biology. We independently design and execute our own projects, then take our work to the largest synthetic biology competition in the world, held every year at the Hynes Convention Centre in Boston, MA.
About this Competition: In collaboration with the URNCST Journal, iGEM Toronto wants to provide undergraduate students with the opportunity to experience the publication of a peer-reviewed abstract before entering graduate school. We also want to promote the field of synthetic biology to students who love science!
Competition Theme: Genetic engineering of bacterial systems for clinical applications. This includes any submissions involving the microbiome or any use of genetic tools for clinical diagnosis. Think of how genetic engineering can be used in the medical field. Be creative! If you have questions or concerns about the eligibility of your submission, please do not hesitate to email us.
Participant Eligibility: Any undergraduate student of any year at the University of Toronto.
Tentative Publication Date: April 2019 (tentative)
Interested in Joining the University of Toronto iGEM Team? Apply here
Ready to Submit YOUR Abstract? Please Follow the Steps Below.
1. After you have read through this entire webpage carefully, please download and complete the Abstract Template for the URNCST Journal Hosted Competition HERE. You are also strongly encouraged to download the Peer-Reviewer Evaluation Form HERE which details how your abstract will be evaluated by an URNCST Journal peer-reviewer.
2. Create a user account HERE (opens a new window, so you can return to the instructions on this page). Enter all of your information, then click "Register". On the next page, click "Make a New Submission".
3. There are 5 steps to submitting your article, as follows:
Under the "1. Start" tab: You must agree to the Submission Requirements. No Comments for the Editor are required.
Under the "2. Upload Submission" tab: Upload your completed "Abstract Template for the URNCST Journal Research Competition". Please do not upload any additional files as they will not be reviewed.
Under the "3. Enter Metadata" tab: Copy/Paste your your title and abstract into the "Title" and "Abstract" sections respectively exactly as they appear in your "Abstract Template for the URNCST Journal Research Competition". Leave all other sections blank.
Under the "4. Confirmation" tab: Click "Finish Submission" and confirm your submission.
Under the "5. Next Steps" tab: You will be notified that your submission is complete and that we have received it. You can now close this tab.
4. Please check your inbox (including your spam folder) for an email confirming your submission and retain it for your records. It should also contain an abstract submission number (AS#), which you should reference in the event that you wish to contact our editorial office.
5. The final step is to make payment for your submission HERE. Please enter your AS#, competition code, full name, and title of your abstract (i.e. 25-<competition code>-John Doe-The title of my abstract) into the box (or copy paste this line provided to you in your confirmation email) before clicking "Pay Now". You will then be taken to the PayPal website where you can make payment using any major credit card or your PayPal account. Please note that payment is due 24 hours after receiving this email or before the abstract submission deadline, whichever comes first. We will not send your abstract out for peer-review until we have received your payment, and therefore recommend that you make payment once you receive this email.
If you encounter any difficulties along the way, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in submitting an abstract to the iGEM Toronto Synthetic Biology Abstract Competition!