URNCST Researcher Abstract Competition
The URNCST [pronounced “earnest”] Researcher Abstract Competition is an international undergraduate research abstract competition. It is open to authors who completed their research outlined in their abstract during while enrolled in an undergraduate (i.e. BSc, BEng, BA, etc.) or professional-undergraduate (i.e. MD, DDS, PharmD, OD, RN, etc.) degree program. Furthermore, the research outlined in their abstract must have been conducting in an academic discipline falling within science or technology. Though this is not an exhaustive list, please be sure to read about the URNCST Journal’s scope prior to making a submission.
The 1st URNCST Researcher Abstract Competition
Abstract Submission Deadline EXTENDED: June 1, 2018 @ 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time
Tentative Publication Date: July 2018
Why was the URNCST Researcher Abstract Competition Established?
As the leading publisher of undergraduate research conferences and case competitions the URNCST Journal team interacts with planning committees regularly. Through these interactions a couple themes were found to recur independently as follows: 1) undergraduate students are extremely keen to participate in research endeavours (i.e. conferences) that recognizes their valuable work and 2) undergraduate researchers face a number of barriers such as the costs of travelling and registering to attend a conference, and a lack of opportunities to receive rigorous peer-review, and 3) submissions to research journals, both undergraduate and profession, are often associated with a long turnaround time to receive even an initial decision, just to name a few. Despite this, many thousands of undergraduate researchers across the globe play crucial roles in making new discoveries every single year.
Therefore, the URNCST Researcher Abstract Competition was established to showcase the most valuable and impactful research undergraduates have to offer. The competition takes place entirely online as there is no physical venue, thereby completely eliminating the barrier of travel and registration costs. Instead, all submitted abstracts are carefully peer-reviewed by the URNCST Journal editorial team, and all accepted abstracts will be published as a single abstract book in the URNCST Journal on the date as specified above. Thus, authors have a pre-specified publication date to look forward to, provided that their abstract is accepted. Authors of abstracts accepted and published in this abstract book enjoy all the benefits as authors of abstracts published in any conference abstract book published by URNCST, including rigorous peer-review, open access, and archiving and indexing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is there a maximum number of abstracts that can be accepted?
A: No. The quality of research takes priority of the quantity of abstracts submitted, however, only high-quality abstracts will be accepted for publication. Please download the peer-reviewer evaluation form (see below) that will be used to grade every abstract submitted, to ensure that your abstract meets all of the evaluation criteria for high-quality.
Q: What are the abstract formatting guidelines?
A: Your abstract must be 300 words or less and contain the following sections: Introduction, Methods, Results, Conclusion, and Implications as shown in the downloadable template below. Please do not change the formatting of the template. No tables, figures, or references should be included with your abstract.
Q: Does my abstract need a supervising author?
A: Yes. It is expected that the first (undergraduate) author will consult their research supervisor to not only ensure that the abstract is of high quality, but also gain permission from them to submit an abstract. If you conducted research that did not require a supervisor (i.e. a review), you are still required to find a supervisor who is willing to serve as a supervising author to your abstract. You should ensure that all authors listed on the abstract approve of the submission and the authorship order. Supervising authors should be research professors, instructors or scientists based at an academic institution who provided you with the methods and materials required for you to conduct the research described in your abstract.
Q: Is there a fee to participate in this competition?
A: Yes, there is a minimal, one-time, non-refundable submission fee of $25.00 CAD (or the equivalent in your local currency) plus applicable taxes to the URNCST Journal. This fee exists for two reasons: 1) it compensates peer-reviewers for their time and supports the journal’s day-to-day operations (i.e. server costs, indexing, etc.) and 2) dissuades the submission of poor-quality abstracts.
Q: Can I submit an abstract to this competition if I am presenting this abstract at a research conference?
A: It depends. It is your responsibility to obtain permission from this conference, if this conference does not publish their conference abstracts. Preferably, however, you are welcomed (in fact, encouraged!) to introduce their planning committee to the URNCST Journal! You may not submit an abstract to the URNCST Researcher Abstract Competition if the abstract you have presented/will be presenting at this research conference has published/will be publishing its abstract book with the URNCST Journal or any other journal.
Q: Why is it a competition if theoretically every submitted abstract could be accepted?
A: Following the peer-review of all abstracts submitted to the URNCST Researcher Abstract Competition, the URNCST Journal will only accept and publishing high quality research abstracts. Submitting your abstract, therefore, does not guarantee acceptance though you can improve your abstract's chances of acceptance by reviewing the peer-reviewer evaluation form. This is also a competition as within the pool of all accepted abstracts, the URCNST Journal will invite a very select few authors of the most impactful abstracts to publish a full-article in the journal.
What are the Terms and Conditions Associated with Making a Submission to the Competition?
The URNCST Researcher Abstract Competition is open to any undergraduate student (BSc, BHSc, BEng, etc.) or professional-undergraduate student (MD, PharmD, DDS, etc.) internationally conducting research in one of the URNCST Journal scope areas. By submitting your abstract to URNCST Journal you agree to the following terms and conditions:
○ 1) I am or was an undergraduate or professional-undergraduate student at the time during which my research is/was conducted and my abstract has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration.
○ 2) By submitting this form, I give the URNCST Journal permission to contact me via email regarding my abstract submission and occasional updates about opportunities offered by the URNCST Journal or one of its partners.
○ 3) I will list the name of at least one principal investigator who assisted me with my research (i.e. provided me with mentorship, lab/office space, research materials/methods, etc.) as an author on your abstract.
○ 4) I have obtained permission from all of my co-authors to submit my abstract to the URNCST Researcher Abstract Competition with the understanding that, if accepted, it will be published in the URNCST Researcher Abstract Competition abstract book in the URNCST Journal. Furthermore, I have ascertained that the order of authorship has been agreed upon by all authors.
○ 5) I am responsible for paying a one-time, non-refundable submission fee of $25.00 CAD (or the equivalent in your local currency) plus applicable taxes to the URNCST Journal. Furthermore, I understand that following the peer-review of my abstract, it may be accepted or declined for publication. Though unlikely, I understand that based on the volume and quality of abstracts received, my abstract’s publication date may be postponed to the next competition.
Ready to Submit YOUR Abstract? Please Follow the Steps Below.
1. After you have read through this entire webpage carefully, please download and complete the Abstract Template for the URNCST Researcher Abstract Competition HERE. You are also strongly encouraged to download the Peer-Reviewer Evaluation Form HERE which details how your abstract will be evaluated by an URNCST Journal peer-reviewer.
2. Create a user account HERE (opens a new window, so you can return to the instructions on this page). Enter all of your information, then click "Register". On the next page, click "Make a New Submission".
3. There are 5 steps to submitting your article, as follows:
Under the "1. Start" tab: You must agree to the Submission Requirements. No Comments for the Editor are required.
Under the "2. Upload Submission" tab: Upload your completed "Abstract Template for the URNCST Researcher Abstract Competition". Please do not upload any additional files as they will not be reviewed.
Under the "3. Enter Metadata" tab: Copy/Paste your your title and abstract into the "Title" and "Abstract" sections respectively exactly as they appear in your "Abstract Template for the URNCST Researcher Abstract Competition". Leave all other sections blank.
Under the "4. Confirmation" tab: Click "Finish Submission" and confirm your submission.
Under the "5. Next Steps" tab: You will be notified that your submission is complete and that we have received it. You can now close this tab.
4. Please check your inbox (including your spam folder) for an email confirming your submission and retain it for your records. It should also contain an abstract submission number (AS#), which you should reference in the event that you wish to contact our editorial office.
5. The final step is to make payment for your submission HERE. Please enter your AS#, full name, and title of your abstract (i.e. 25-John Doe-The title of my abstract) into the box (or copy paste this line provided to you in your confirmation email) before clicking "Pay Now". You will then be taken to the PayPal website where you can make payment using any major credit card or your PayPal account. Please note that payment is due 24 hours after receiving this email or before the abstract submission deadline, whichever comes first. We will not send your abstract out for peer-review until we have received your payment, and therefore recommend that you make payment once you receive this email.
If you encounter any difficulties along the way, please send an email to email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in submitting a research abstract to the URNCST Researcher Abstract Competition!